Translate

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Special Needs Students Discover Fall Textures.


We all know that when a student is using self discovery their learning is more rich and meaningful. I had my special needs/autistic class using discovery to create art a few weeks ago. I prepared a table by taping  plastic texture plates to it and then laid a large white piece of paper over it.  I then placed large crayons, with their paper peeled off, on top of the white paper. I then had the students rub the crayons over the white paper to which they delightfully found neat textures! They rubbed and rubbed and really enjoyed the sensory experience of texture plates.


Next, we decided to push the project to another level by adding painted leaves from stencils. The plastic stencils are easy for the students to use with dot markers. The dot markers are filled with paint, but keep the students hands clean. This is a wonderful option for special needs students who may be uncomfortable with paint, water, or brushes.

The end results were so lovely and colorful! I am so proud of my special students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment